Being a student nurse can be very tough and extremely stressful.
The workload can get on top of you, and you might even find yourself doubting whether nursing is right career choice.
To help you out, we decided to ask our amazing army of Facebook friends to give their top tips for student nurses to help you them through their studies. Here’s the pick of the bunch:
1. Do it because you want to, not just because someone says “You would make a good nurse.” Stick it out to the end, don’t let life get in the way. And when you qualify and teach challenging student nurses, remember that you were a student once too! – Lindsay
2. Challenge unsafe practice using evidence base. Student nurses can have the most up-to-date knowledge and are more aware of best practice. Done properly, it can show your knowledge and confidence, your desire to be a good nurse, interest and your ability to be an advocate for your patients. You have a long career ahead of you, don’t be a wallflower, use your voice – Chantal
3. When writing your assignment, do your references as you find them. – Sophie
4. Smile and remember those patients need you. Being a nurse is a wonderful and rewarding job. – Lyndsey
5. Perseverance, determination & faith in your own ability. – Christine
6. Start essays the day they are set, even if you just do a really messy spider diagram on a piece of paper. Get everything out, including what the lecturer has said. If you leave it, you’ll sit there for ages, wondering what you are supposed to do. – Juanita
7. Be organised and enthusiastic. There will be areas you prefer and those you don’t, but try to make the most of every situation. Never forget, you will come across hundreds of people but patients never forget their nurse and a friendly face can make their day. – Margie
8. Don’t listen to negativity. Follow your dreams in the knowledge that it will all be worth it in the end. – Tina
9. Never forget the reason that you are doing what you are doing! And don’t just revise for the exam, someday that knowledge is the difference between life and death. – Jessica
10. Enjoy every minute of it. For every negative experience, there will be a billion amazing ones. Being a nurse is the best job in the world! – Danielle
11. Dry shampoo is your best friend. – Rachel
12. Go for it and enjoy every moment of the experience. Ignore the negativity. – Rachael
13. Always remind yourself – to nurse people the way you would nurse a loved one. Never forget basic nursing care, a loved one visiting will always see a soiled pyjama top or un-brushed hair – never give a relative a chance to worry. Update regularly an informed relative, this makes for a settled patient. Dignity always! – Christine
14. Self-discipline and time management. Follow your dreams. – Jeanette
And the final tip, which was suggested a few times:
15. Wine! – Alexandra
Do you have any more tips to share that will help student nurses through their studies?