This spring, why not get your house into tip-top shape! We have found the best cleaning hacks to save you time and effort when it comes to the nitty-gritty jobs you really don’t want to do.
A spring clean not only helps wellness by keeping your home environment clean but it also helps to get you summer-ready with a fresh start to the next half of the year.
1. Make your microwave sparkle
Want to make your microwave gleam? Start by cutting a lemon into half then squeeze the juice into half a cup of water followed by dropping the rinds into the mixture. Microwave the mixture for three minutes and let it stand for five minutes without opening the door. The trapped steam will then loosen the grime allowing you to simply wipe away the grime without putting in any effort.
2. Is your stainless steel, stained?
You should be able to see your reflection in stainless steel, but why can’t you? This simple trick will help fix that! To start, wet your sink and faucet then sprinkle baking soda over it and scrub with a sponge. If the build-up on the steel is tough, add salt to the baking soda.
3. Grilled onion?
Is your grill not grill-able? The trick is onions! Start by heating up your grill and spraying on some white vinegar to help loosen the residue. Now for the onion, scrub the area firmly using half an onion. The acid from the onion will help remove the dirt and stick from your grill.
4. Can’t find that top from last summer?
Are your wardrobes an absolute mess? Tops mixed with jeans, buried behind your Winter coats? Go through your wardrobe and arrange your clothes in seasons. This will help you dress for the weather and find that top you loved last summer.
Also, instead of putting away folded clothes in pile on top of each other, fold them vertically so you can see what you are looking for.
5. Tartar sauce on toast
Tartar sauce isn’t just a condiment, it also works a treat to clean your toaster and kettle. All you need to do is mix one teaspoon of tartar sauce with just enough water to create a paste. With the paste, rub this onto your kitchen appliances and wipe away to expose the shine that you’ve been looking for!
6. Clean house, clean mind…
Here are some cleaning ideas that you sometimes forget about but once done, you will feel like a brand new person.
- Give your fridge and freeze a deep clean. Empty out the contents of your fridge and freezer and thoroughly clean them. It will help remove bacteria buildup and stop unwanted odours from occurring.
- Move your large appliances such as your oven, fridge, washing machine and hoover underneath. You’ll be surprised how much dust and crumbs build up!
- If you have blinds, don’t forget that they need cleaning too! They are very easy to forget about and if you don’t know how to clean them or are scared that you will damage them, take them to a cleaner and get someone to do them professionally.
- Give your mattress a flip. Don’t just clean your covers, make sure your pillows and bedding get washed as well.
7. Open your windows!
Nothing beats the smell of fresh air and it’s free! To help circulate fresh air around your home, open your windows in all the rooms for at least 10 minutes. It will also help dry your floors quicker when mopping.
8. Clean your electricals
How many of you forget to clean your electrical appliances? When was the last time you cleaned your remote control even though it’s probably one of the most used items in the house? Go through all of the electrical appliances in your house and give them a good wipe. Anti-bacterial wipes will do the trick and you will be surprised at how much dirt there is!
9. DIY window cleaning…but only on a cloudy day
Want to know how to make your own window washing solution? All you need to do is mix equal parts of white vinegar and warm water! However, you need to time your cleaning wisely, sunshine will leave your windows with streaks as it will dry them too quickly.
10. Dishwater cleans more than just dishes
If you have a dishwasher then you really need to take advantage of it. There are plenty of things that you can clean in the dishwasher. You can use your dishwasher to give these following items a deep clean: Hair brushes, makeup brushes, pet dishes, plastic toys, fridge and freeze shelves, bathroom holders and many more!
Remember, NHS and healthcare staff in all roles can sign up for free to get access to hundreds of discounts and offers.